Highly Integrated Basic and Applied Research (HIBAR)
Primary Workshop Goals
- To find shared understanding about HIBAR: What is it? Why do we need more of it?
- To find possible ways to collaborate on advancing HIBAR.
- To express these understandings in a group consensus statement (see a draft example).
- To consider another meeting(s): Would this be helpful? If so, who should attend?
- To consider applying for a grant to help accelerate such initiation efforts and related work.
|8:30 – 9:00||Welcome, informal discussion||Coffee, tea, water and snacks|
|9:00 – 9:20||Opening remarks & agenda||H. Gobstein, L. Whitehead|
|9:20 – 9:45||Remarks on culture & change||D. Sarewitz, L. Whitehead, A. Austin|
|9:30 – 10:05||Very brief self-introductions||In 60 seconds or less “why are we each here”?|
|10:05 – 10:30||Remarks on HIBAR||V. Narayanamurti, C. Crittenden, B. Shneiderman|
|10:30 – 10:45||Informal discussion in break||Coffee, tea, water and snacks|
|10:45 – 11:30||Two similar break-out groups||Prioritize different topics sets for p.m. break-outs|
|11:30 – noon||Report back from breakouts||Sharing, then agreeing on plans for p.m. break-outs|
|noon – 12:45||Light lunch brought in||Informal discussion in multiple conversations|
|12:45 – 1:00||Discussing afternoon goals||Re-assessing the following draft afternoon plan|
|1:00 – 2:30||Two different break-outs based on the a.m. discussions||Begin by building on morning discussion|
|Then, refine and clarify (with coffee available)|
|2:30 – 3:45||Reports back and synthesis||Sharing the results from each break-out discussion|
|3:45 – 4:00||Summarize today’s discussion||Ensuring that we capture concrete next steps|
|4:00 – 4:30||Optional mingling at APLU||Informal wrap-up in multiple conversations|
|6:00 – 8:00||Optional : light early dinner||Café Mozart, 2 doors west from APLU|